Hi friends, happy Tuesday! I can’t believe we’re halfway through this year, where is this year going? Well, that just means it’s time to check in with my goals that I set for myself in January. Let’s get started, shall we?
I have to say that before I even dive into this, that I don’t really remember the goals I set for myself (oops 😅 but you can read my original post here) but I am curious to see if I subconsciously stuck to them… although I doubt it ha!
Participate in the Goodreads Challenge & Beat the Back List Challenge.
Alright, off to a good start here. As of writing this post (4 days before it goes up) I’m 54/95 books read in my Goodreads Challenge making me 7 books ahead of schedule, woohoo look at me go!
As for the Beat the Back List Challenge, I haven’t really been ticking books off the list, but I do know that I’ve read quite a few books that fit the prompts.
Read More Diversely.
I talked about failing at reading more Canadian books in 2020 back in my goals post, but I do have to say that after pledging to myself to read the Canada Reads long list I can say that I’ve read 5 books off that list, which is a step up from last year (plus I still have roughly 10 more to go). I’ve also been diversifying my reading by reading books from authors of colour. So far out of the 54 books I’ve read this year, 17 have been of authors of colour… I really need to work on upping that number. I almost didn’t want to share the number, but in order to do better I gotta face the facts.
Well, this one I am totally kicking butt to. I talked in January how I wanted to post a photo a day… and I have so far (I’m also including the days I either post a video or a reel as a ‘picture’). I honestly don’t know how I’ve been able to post every day, but I’ve done it. Now to keep it up for the second half of the year! 😅
Follow More Blogs.
This one I haven’t been doing very much. I don’t think I’ve followed another blog for a bit, so I should really get on that.
Start Weekly Updates.
In January I said I was going to start a blog post that included the following:
it’ll be a combination of my monthly wrap-ups & my WWW Wednesday posts, so you’ll get a reading update from me, what I’ve read and what I’m currently reading
what I’ve watched and what I’m currently watching
links to my past week’s blog posts and links to other bloggers posts I’ve liked
my Instagram photos for the week + any personal updates I’d like to share
And I’ve done all this in my Weekly Wrap Up posts!
Ride My Bike More.
I am really proud to say that not only did I pull my bike out of hibernation, I washed it and I took it for a spin a few times. Now, I haven’t ridden since May, but I’m still proud I even touched it, since I didn’t all of 2020!
Be More Active/Healthier.
I had mini goals for this one so here it goes:
My active goals were:
- Go for a walk at least 3 times a week. Most days (work-week wise, so 5 days) I go for a walk around the block with my mum. There have been very few days where we haven’t gone (very heavy rain, or we shovelled instead of walked).
- Ride my bike at least once a week (weather permitting). I have to say, I was doing this in April/May then I got my first Covid shot and felt lousy and I kinda stopped after that. I need to get back into it!
- Continue to stretch every morning. This is the easiest one on the list because it’s already engrained in my daily routine and has been for years now so I can’t wake up any other way.
My healthier goals were:
- Drink at least 4 glasses of water a day. Most days this is really easy, when I’m working I have no problem sipping water all day. When it comes to the weekends though… I’m a mess. I need to practice more water on weekends!
- Eat fruit/or veggies once a day. Every day at lunch I make sure to eat a fruit or veggie, again my weekends are a different story, but I’m trying better to do it on weekends too! Right now I’m totally loving carrots with hummus!
- Try to eat from all four food groups every day. I have to say, this one I haven’t really been paying close attention to. I probably am getting all four food groups every day at some point, I just can’t tell you for sure because I’m not tracking it. Something to keep track of more.
Continue doing my favourite hobbies.
Here comes another list (I do love me a good list):
- Knit a blanket. I can officially say, yes I knit my first blanket from January – May. It’s a smaller blanket, fits me more like a shall but I’m still proud of it. Now I’m working on blanket #2 and I think it’s going to be way bigger!
- Take more photos. Like I mentioned at the beginning of the year, this ties into my bookstagram goal. I honestly don’t think I’ve taken so many photos of books before 😅
- Bake at least once a week. HA! This makes me laugh… guys I have ingredients expiring in my cupboards and even that isn’t propelling me to bake any faster… I have completely lost the want to bake. I haven’t baked anything since the beginning of April. I went through a making dough from scratch phase… that was hard! But not much baking has been happening here.
- Continue French with Duolingo. Woohoo at this one! I’m currently at a 585 day streak (I’m hoping it’s a little higher since writing this). They’ve introduced earning badges every month and that has motivated me even more to use the app every day. Even if this isn’t the best way to learn a language, I’m having fun with it.
Work on me.
The last one I wrote was to work on me. It’s vague, and I even stated that when I made the goal at the beginning of the year. I feel like all I can say is that I’m a work in progress, we all are. I do have to say though I’ve recently been doing little things for myself without feeling guilty (for example, making coffee after work, I’m really hard on myself about this one; there was also a night I poured a drink and watched a movie and I had such a great night with myself). Everyone’s self-care looks different, I feel like we need to start doing things without feeling guilty.
And that’s all I’ve got for my goals; I have to say I did better than I thought I was going to do! I’m hoping the second half of the year is going to be better and brighter!
Have any of you made goals? Keeping track of them… or not? Let me know!